The Malaysian Medical Association Ophthalmological Society (MMA OS) was established in 1964 by pioneering Malaysian ophthalmologists, with the aims of promoting interest in and advancing the specialty. For 45 years, the society grew and organized many academic and social activities, benefitting its members as well as the fraternity of ophthalmologists as a whole.
To serve an expanded fraternity better, the members of the MMA OS eventually proposed the formation of an independent society. A constitution was drawn up by the committee of the MMA OS and presented at the society’s Annual General Meeting in 2007. The resolution to form the independent Persatuan Oftalmologi Malaysia (Malaysian Society of Ophthalmology, MSO) together with its new constitution received overwhelming support from the members present. The new society was successfully registered with the registrar of societies on April 15, 2008.
As the MMA OS did in the past, the MSO will continue to carry the flag for the profession of ophthalmology in Malaysia.
The Objectives of the MSO are:
- To promote and uphold the interests of ophthalmology in all its aspects
- To facilitate communication and good will amongst doctors practicing ophthalmology in Malaysia
- To organize conferences, workshops and scientific meetings to facilitate the exchange of information, continually striving to raise the standards of the practice of ophthalmology in the country
- To facilitate research and development in ophthalmology; and
- To conduct public health education in relation to the promotion of eye health, prevention of blindness and rehabilitation for those with visual impairment.
Malaysian Society of Ophthalmology (MSO)
Unit #UG33, PJ Midtown
Jalan Kemajuan, Seksyen 13
46200 Petaling Jaya